January 16, 2018.
Ocean Cay (pronounced “key”) MSC Marine Reserve, the private island being developed by MSC Cruises, opens on November 9, 2019. The cruise line revealed more details about the new port this morning.
Here is a synopsis:
- Creating a flourishing marine reserve: With Ocean Cay, MSC Cruises is transforming a former industrial sand-extraction site into a vibrant marine reserve. The company has hauled tons of debris out of the surrounding waters and a coral nursery is being established to encourage and sustain the growth of new coral. Overall, the vision is to create a sustainable destination that allow guests to connect with the surrounding nature.
- Guest Experience: On the island guests will enjoy,
– Seven beaches, including a smaller family lagoon for younger guests to enjoy.
– A variety of shore excursions to explore nature’s beauty, including snorkel safaris, kayak tours and paddle boarding. This includes being able to rent your own private island nearby for the day ($$$$).
– Entertainment activities day and night.
– Docking at the island, so guests can easily move on and off the ship to refresh and enjoy evenings on Ocean Cay.
– A variety of food and drink options including a buffet, casual food carts with handhelds such as tacos and conch fritters, a variety of bars with different atmospheres, and an ice cream parlor.
– Island shopping with a Bahamian Shop & Market, hosting authentic arts and crafts by local artisans.
– Spa services on the island with a selection of body and facial treatments.
– Wi-Fi will be available on the island (that will be a first among all cruise line private islands).
Here are the details (with images!):
With over two miles of white sandy beach shore formed from the world’s best aragonite sand, guests will have a choice of seven distinct beach areas, each with their own character. Guests can either escape with warm sand between their toes and the sound of the ocean, or be more active with beach games and water sports.
Sun beds will be available on all beaches, and some beaches will offer cabanas that can be rented for the day. The Great Lagoon’s shallow crystal-clear water is perfect for protected swimming and water sports, while the smaller family lagoon is designed for younger guests to enjoy, offering very shallow, calm water and plenty of games. At over half a mile long, the Great Bimini Beach is the largest stretch of beach on the island, as well as the place to go to enjoy a variety of water sports.
The Ocean Cay excursions will allow visitors to explore, discover, relax and enjoy nature’s beauty at it’s very best. Discover the waters around the island through snorkel safaris, kayak tours and paddle boarding. The Family Explorer club will also offer fun activities for the entire family.
For those looking for a really special experience, Ocean Cay guests are able to privately rent a smaller island close to the main body of land for the day, which will include: a private boat that will take the group to the island and remain at their disposal; and a marquee, sun beds and loungers and food and drinks. Near the island is an old shipwreck, making it a wonderful spot for snorkeling.
In addition to the excursions, guests can participate in a wide range of entertainment activities including sports games and tournaments, dance lessons as well activities for the entire family.
One of the key highlights of Ocean Cay is that the ship will remain in port into the evening since the island is conveniently located just 65 miles south of Miami, allowing for a range of incredible evening experiences. Once the sun goes down guests can enjoy night time activities such as stargazing on the beach or romantic sunset catamaran tours to bring the day to a very special close. The entertainment on the island will focus around the iconic Lighthouse with breathtaking sunsets and with live music or DJs and a surprising visual experience that will further enhance the atmosphere.
Food And Drink
The choice of options for food and drink ashore will include:
- Buffet: Conveniently located near the family lagoon, at the buffet guests will get freshly prepared meals from a variety of international culinary traditions, including American classics and authentic Bahamian flavors as well as some kids’ favorites.
- Food carts: For guests not seeking a sit-down meal, food carts with casual street food will be available including a taco truck, conch fritter truck, and more. The trucks will be stationary during the day around the beaches and will move to the Marina area at night creating an atmospheric food festival-style feel.
Food and beverage services will be offered at an additional cost with upgrades available to the beverage package. As the ship is easily accessible guests are able to walk on and off at their leisure, allowing them to also be able to freely dine on board as they choose.
A range of different bars with varying atmospheres and ambiences are spread across the island. These include:
- Authentic Bahamian Bar: Located in the Marina, this friendly bar offers cocktails and drinks in an authentic Bahamian style.
- Lighthouse Bar: This Hemingway-style cocktail bar offers an ample selection of rums, other spirits and delicious cocktails, all with incredible sea views. It’s the perfect spot to take a break from one of the island’smany activities during the day.
- Beach Bars: There are seven beach bars spread across the island, each with its own personality and its own special look and feel.
- Ice Cream Parlor and Coffee Bar: Located in the Marina, this venue offers different kinds of ice cream, from classics to more innovative flavors. The coffee bar serves freshly brewed whole bean and ground coffee, espresso and cappuccino for an energetic start or a quick afternoon boost.
The Bahamian Shop & Market hosts authentic arts and crafts by local artisans and Bahamian companies to perfectly complement the spirit of the Bahamas. Meanwhile the Ocean Cay Trading Post offers a wide selection of exclusive Ocean Cay souvenirs and gifts inspired by nature with items for adults and children ranging from T-shirts, caps, beach items, towels and accessories.
Guests will be able to purchase essentials for the whole family from the MSC Shop, with a range of MSC Cruises branded products such as hats, flip flops, towels, beach bags, sunscreen and lip balms. Guests will also find a number of exclusive partnership products highlighting the marine and sustainable values of the island. Finally guests can collect pre-ordered essential items at the Welcome Center including Ocean Cay survival kits and other essentials and at the same time gather top tips for a day on Ocean Cay.
For those guests looking to relax and rejuvenate on the island, there will be services provided by the award-winning MSC Aurea Spa with a selection of relaxing body and facial treatments. All the beauty products used on the island are bio-degradable and eco-friendly. Some of the specially-designed treatments include the Ocean Cay Breeze Boost massage, which uses aromatic spray waters with soothing and refreshing properties, mainly aimed at the legs, feet and back — the areas of the body normally more exposed to sun. The Ocean Cay Breeze Facial offers the soothing properties of a calming mask and refreshing spray waters, providing relief for delicate facial skin exposed to the sun.
The island will welcome its first guests on November 9, 2019. To find out more visit www.msccruises.com.